LEGAL UPDATES 2 Aug 2020
- The SC bench headed by Justice D Y Chandrachud, Justice Indu Malhotra, Justice KM Joseph said that Hospitals which provide medical service for free to some patients but charge a bulk of others fall in the purview of consumer protection Act.
- The UN Human Rights Committee (UNHRC) adopted General Comment No. 37 on July 23, defining the right of peaceful assembly and lawful restrictions on protests
- Ministry of Defence formally written to (CBFC) Central Board of Film Certification and ministry of information and broadcasting to advise all production houses to obtain a No Objection Certificate from ministry before telecasting any film, documentary and web series based on Army theme in the public domain.
- Plea In SC For Constitution Of Broadcast Regulatory Authority Of India To Regulate Electronic Media
- J&K High Court has initiated suo moto contempt proceedings against Government Department for Contravention of Its 14 Year Old Stay Order and Initiating Parallel Proceedings In a Different Bench.
- Madras HC : The order was passed by an all-women bench of Justice Pushpa Sathyanarayana, Justice Anita Sumanth and Justice P T Asha that All unaided private educational institutions will be treated to be an establishment within the meaning of Section 1(5) of the Employees State Insurance Act, 1948.
- Supply Of Services Outside India By “Intermediaries” Not Export, And Hence, Subject To IGST held Gujarat High court
- CISF issues fresh social media rules for personnel; seeks disclosure of their IDs. The two-page guidelines are being issued in view of the “threat posed” by these online platforms to “national security and general discipline of the force”
- Yemeni blogger Convicted by Saudi court for 10 months in prison, a fine of 10,000 riyals ($2,600) and then deportation for a social media post supporting (LGBT) equal rights for people in same Sex Relationship according to a Human Rights Watch (HRW).