UPDATES OF THE DAY
(August 28, 2020)
- A 29-year-old Dutch author “Marieke Lucas Rijneveld” has become the youngest author to win the “International Booker Prize”. He won the prize for his debut novel “The Discomfort of Evening”.
- The Department of Pension and Pensioners Welfare (DoPPW) has decided to integrate electronic pension payment order(e-PPO) generated through the Public Finance Management System (PFMS) application of the Controller General of Accounts with Digi Locker in order to enhance ease of Living of the Central Government Pensioners. The system has been created with “Bhavishya Software”.
- The Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Minister “Piyush Goyal” launched the “National GIS-enabled Land Bank System” for effective land identification and Procurement on August 27, 2020. GIS is a Geographic Information System
- On August 27, 2020, The Ministry of Civil Aviation sanctioned 78 new routes under the 4th round of regional connectivity scheme (RCS). So far 766 new routes have been sanctioned under the scheme.
- The finance Minister Nirmala Sitaraman chaired the 41st GST Council meeting on 27th August 2020. The council discussed states’ compensation and revenue losses.
- Around thirty fishermen lose their lives at sea in a year due to accidents during fishing. Under this context, the Government of Kerala has launched Marine Ambulance services to provide more efficient rescue.
- The Supreme Court upheld the UGC decision to hold final year exams by September 30. However, can’t promote students without it. The court added that if any state feels they can’t conduct exams, they must approach UGC for suitable reliefs.
- The Supreme Court reserved its judgment in a review petition filed by fugitive Vijay Mallya against his conviction in a 2017 contempt of court case.
- The Supreme Court dismissed a petition seeking directions to refrain from holding the upcoming elections in Bihar till the state is declared COVID-19 and flood-free.
- World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the Africa region as free of Polio disease.
- Gujarat Indian state topped the ‘Export Preparedness Index (EPI) 2020’ released by NITI Aayog.