UPDATES OF THE DAY
(August 31, 2020)
- Lawyer activist PRASHANT BHUSHAN held guilty of criminal contempt and fined Re 1 by Supreme Court, if he does not pay the fine by September 15, 2020, he can either face jail for three months or a ban from practicing for three years.
- The Gujarat Government recently announced the inauguration of the “first-ever seaplane service” in the state from October 31 on the occasion of the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. The first seaplane is to take off from the Sabarmati riverfront to the Statue of Unity in Kevadia in Narmada district.
- Sri Lanka to have ‘India First’ approach for security policy, The Foreign Secretary Jayanth Colmbage of Sri Lanka recently shared about Sri Lanka’s interests towards India Fist Policy.
- India is to start the bidding process by October to acquire 24 new submarines including 6 nuclear attack submarines for an Rs. 55,000 crore mega project to bolster India’s underwater fighting capabilities.
- The Government of India has decided to provide a smart rural water supply system under Jal Jeevan Mission, Digital India, Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan, and Make in India. The Jal Jeevan Mission is being implemented in the country with the aim of providing a clean tap water connection to every rural household by 2024. Under the program, 55 liters of water is to be provided per day on a long- term basis.
- 17th ASEAN-India Economic Ministers Consultations were held virtually on 29th August 2020. India was represented by Shri Piyush Goyal, Minister of Commerce and Industry & Railways.
- The UAE Government launched AGRIOTA, a new technology-driven agricultural commodity trading platform that provides Indian farmers the opportunity to connect directly with the entire food industry in the UAE, including food processing companies, traders, and wholesalers.
- On August 28, 2020, the Government of India issued new rules for administration in the Union Territory Jammu and Kashmir that specify the functions of Lieutenant Governor and Council of Minister.
- The Punjab Government passed a resolution against the farm ordinances of the central government on August 28, 2020.
- Riots in Sweden after Quran Burning by Far-Right Activists, Rioters set fires and threw objects at police and rescue services Friday night, slightly injuring several police officers and leading to the detention of about 15 people.
- The Indian Institute of Technology’s Alumni Council has signed an agreement with Lomonosov Moscow State University and Russoft to access and transfer key technologies from Russia to build the world’s largest and fastest hybrid quantum computer in India
- Russia, India become co–champions of first–ever FIDE online Chess Olympiad after internet outage
- Kerala will set up India’s first International Women Trade Center (IWTC), in consonance with the United Nations sustainable development goals (SDGs), at Angamaly to develop entrepreneurship.
- CISF (defense force), recently launched the ‘Pension Corner app’ for its retired personal.
- ISRO (Indian space research Organisation) signed MoU with VSSUT (Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology) Odisha to set up Space Innovation Centre.